Archive for childbirth

Finished Nursery

Posted in Creative Reuse, Upcycled Forest Nursery with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on October 1, 2012 by Lax Cat Creations

The nursery is finished!

Well actually it was finished about 4 1/2 months ago, in time for Ansel’s arrival, but I am just now getting around to write about it. I am so pleased with how it turned out. There is a lot going on but that is how I tend to decorate. I get going and want every part of the room to be special. At least I know visual stimulation is NOT something Ansel will lack!

I also like that many elements in this room are appropriate for when he’s older as well. (Where the Wild Things Are, anyone?) This room also works for a child of either gender. Heck, I would put half of this stuff in my own bedroom.

Click picture to see the panorama full size.

Here I am, so glad to be finished with this room and so ready to have the baby. Four months later I have yet to look that well-rested!

Advertisements

Boho bird mobile

Posted in Tutorials, Upcycled Forest Nursery with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on August 16, 2012 by Lax Cat Creations

Next to the tree wall, I would have to say this bird mobile is my favorite part of the nursery. I first spotted this mobile in the DIY section of this blog and fell in love with it. I don’t have the patience to be much of a seamstress, however, and even though the pattern online looked fairly simple, it also looked very time consuming. I sent pictures of the mobile to my mother-in-law, who also made my fabulous crib bedding, in hopes that she would be inspired. Thankfully she took the bait and about a month before Ansel was born I got a package with these lovelies inside.

Putting the rest of the mobile together turned out to be more of a process than I had expected. Tom scored some laurel branches from a landscaper. We bought some wire to attach the birds to the branches with and used some jute twine that we had on hand to hang the branches.

I cut the wire cuts into short pieces and threaded them through the cloth to serve as “feet”. We attached the wire feet loosely to the branches so we could easily adjust the birds.

Next came the balancing act. Thankfully my husband took the lead in this because I sure wouldn’t have had the patience to make it happen on my own! Tom tied the branches together to find the center balance point. He then drilled holes through the branches.

We ended up using masking tape around the birds in addition to the wire as a more effective temporary hold. (Here I am nine months pregnant and SO ready to meet Ansel.)

Little Ansel loves watching his mobile almost as much as he loves staring up into real tree branches.